TRADIOTIONAL BEEF RENDANG
TRADITIONAL BEEF RENDANG is one of most famous dish among HARI RAYA PUASA festival. Is like complementary dish during this festival. Most of Malaysian familiar with this food. Beef rendang can be eat by itself or serve with other kind of dish. It can be serve with rice, LEMANG and the most popular partner is KETUPAT.
What make beef rendang so special is the ingredient and the taste itself. It use lot of spices and need to be cook in longer hour. Normally Malaysian will use beef as main ingredient but some of Malaysian use chicken as main ingredient. So if you come to Malaysia, you should try TRADIOTIONAL BEEF RENDANG.
- 2kg beef
- 1 kg of onions – sliced
- 3 white onions – sliced
- 4 inch ginger – sliced
- 4 inch ginger – mashed
- 2 inch fresh turmeric – mashed
- 4 stalks lemongrass – point
- 4 Ladle chili grind – come like spicy
- Cinnamon, cardamom, star anise
- 4 kg of milk
- 2 pieces dried tamarind – to taste salt sugar
- Turmeric leaf – Optional
- A little rustle – optional for dark colors
- Heat the oil and fry the spices and fragrant with fresh sliced lemon grass until fragrant.
- Add chili paste and turmeric and galangal pounded. Sauté until the chili really dry.
- Add the beef and mix well until seared beef.
- Add a little milk to allow beef cooking liquid.
- After that, just put all the coconut milk and cook over low heat only.
- Lastly, add coconut paste, salt, sugar and tamarind to taste. Cook until the sauce dry and cracked oil. If you like, sprinkle turmeric leaves sliced before closing the fire.
There so many type of Rendang in Malaysia. Different state will have their own recipe and style. So you can’t get the exact same tasty each of them. There is modern style implement to this recipe so it feet their lifestyle. Anyway, if you come to Malaysia you should try this food.